The slow cooker is a fantastic way to make big batches of deliciousness with hardly any prep or cooking at all. My wife and I have been making this chili for many years. We’ve changed the ingredients in this chili many times over the many times of making this and I feel like this version is one of the very best! We use to make this on the stove top, but after deciding to try out the slow cooker instead, we will never go back to the stove top. This chili tastes much better after cooking for many hours in the slow cooker. Plus the less time spent actually cooking in the slow cooker vs the stove top is a big plus too. I hope you enjoy this chili as much as we have!
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- Two 15 oz cans mixed beans
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into thin coins
- One 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups baby spinach
- **Optional ground beef or turkey, 1-2 lbs
- 1-2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- *Optional ground pepper, as much as you’d like
- If you decided to use ground beef or turkey. Make sure you cook it before putting it into the slow cooker.
- Pour out the beans into a sieve over the sink and run water over them until they stop foaming.This helps to get rid of the salt and chemicals that were in the can with the beans.
- Put everything in the slow cooker and mix together well.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Great meal to put together before bed, only to wake up to find your day’s meals already made!
If you liked this recipe, I have a lot more! I can put together a weekly meal plan to help you get started on a healthier path. Contact me if you’re interested.