It’s Monday morning and for me that usually means it’s time to load up on my snacks for the week. There are two things that I almost always make on Mondays (or whenever I’m low) and those are my Super Chaga Energy Balls as well as a basic nut/seed mix. I start off by taking any nuts, seeds, and any other goodies I can find and mix them all together in a large bowl. From there I just transfer the mixture into a 1 liter (1 quart) mason jar and I have a great snack I can easily take anywhere. As you know there is nothing worse than a hangry triathlete, so make sure you always have this snack around! Depending on what you use, this snack can provide a great source of fat, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, leaving you feeling satiated longer than if you opted for those crappy office donuts. Snacks can be health promoting and this is a great option. Here are some options you can use in your own mixture:
- Almonds- One of the more popular nuts. We always have lots of almonds on hand as we make our own homemade almond milk every couple of days. Almonds are a good source of fiber, calcium, protein and fat.
- Cashews- These are delicious and should be in every nut/seed mix! There is plenty of fat in cashews, which will help you to feel fuller, longer after a couple handfuls.
- Brazil Nuts- I started adding these into my own mixture after I learned that Brazil nuts could possibly help boost testosterone levels. These nuts are a extremely good source of selenium which is a vital antioxidant that will protect your cells from damage.
- Walnuts- A fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids! A great option you can add into your own mix.
- Pumpkin Seeds- Another good source of protein, fat and antioxidants. Pumpkin seeds are well known for the good source of zinc they provide.
- Sunflower Seeds- A great source of Vitamin E, an important and powerful antioxidant.
- Goji Berries- I use these in my mix for the adaptogenic properties. Adaptogens help your body resist stress, fatigue, etc. A great add-in option for athletes!
- Dark Chocolate Chips- I love chocolate, most people do, add it!